How to cook a Bacon Explosion
What you’ll need:
- 2 pounds of bacon
- 2 to 3 pounds of sausage
- A kettle barbecue or smoker
- Wood for smoking
- Applejack (optional)
- Take 1 pound of bacon and weave it into a mat on a silicone mat
- Broil or fry the other pound of bacon
- Spread the sausage onto the woven bacon mat so it is approximately 1 inch thick
- Spread the herbs in a line about 1/3 of the way from the bottom
- Crumble the cooked bacon on top of the line of herbs
- Roll the assembled product into a roll. Do not roll it too tight. It will form itself into a roll easily enough just by lifting the bottom edge of the silicone mat.
- Place the roll, seam side down onto the grill of the barbecue or smoker.
- Hot smoke the roll for 4 hours until fully cooked throughout.
- Let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice crosswise in 1 inch slices and serve.
Towards the end, you may choose to splash a little applejack onto the roll. Do this about half an hour before removing the roll from the grill.
Bon appetit and happy Thanksgiving!
This is my lunch. It is a BLT with dry-rubbed cold-smoked bacon, fresh tomatoes from the garden, mesclun lettuce, Bermuda onion, dill pickle slices, horseradish dijon mustard and stoneground mustard.
In short, it is the General Zod of sandwiches. Kneel before it. Nom nom nom.